Potato Sausage Soup
Potato Sausage Soup is an old fashioned sausage soup recipe. This simple potato soup recipe uses breakfast sausage, diced potatoes, celery, and onion which is thickened up with a simple roux. Recipes like this one stand the test of time because of the easy instruction and basic ingredients.
Servings: 6 people
- 3-4 stalks celery, cleaned and diced
- 4-5 potatoes, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2-3 shakes ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper, generously to taste
Add diced celery, potatoes and onions to a medium saucepan, and cover with just enough water to cover vegetables. Cook until fork tender.
Meanwhile, brown and crumble sausage; drain excess grease if needed.
Add browned sausage to potato mixture.
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, stirring for 30 seconds with whisk. Add milk and cook and stir until thick.
Once milk sauce is thick, add it to the potato mixture. Bring the soup to a boil until thickened and hot.
Season with nutmeg, starting with one shake. Taste and add up to three shakes. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- This potato soup uses pork sausage also known as breakfast sausage.
- Only use enough water to cover the vegetable mixture in the saucepan. The water doesn't get drained, and using too much water will result in a thin soup.
- Substitute in Italian sausage or spicy breakfast sausage, if desired.
- Peeling the potatoes before dicing is optional.
- Margarine or shortening can be used instead of butter.
- Nutmeg is added to taste. Start with one shake and add up to three shakes or leave it out if desired.
- Be sure to properly season with salt and black pepper to taste. Forgetting salt will results in a bland pork sausage soup.
- Love potato soup? Try this Instant Pot Version.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 1059mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 181mg | Iron: 2mg