Creamed Spinach with Fresh Spinach
Creamed Spinach with Fresh Spinach is an easy, old-fashioned side dish that pairs with endless entrees. This creamed spinach with Parmesan cheese and heavy cream is reminiscent of a steakhouse creamed spinach recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 pounds fresh spinach, hearty stems removed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or freshly grated Parmesan
- black pepper and salt, to taste
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add minced garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
Wash spinach, and add it to the pan, cooking it in the water that clings to it after washing. Cook until its wilted and tender, approximately 3 minutes.
Drain spinach well after cooking. (Do not omit this step.)
In a bowl, mix heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
Return spinach to saucepan; add heavy cream mixture. Cook until hot and cheese has melted.
Season generously with black pepper and salt, to taste.
- As stated before, this creamed spinach recipe uses fresh spinach, not frozen.
- Spinach wilts down to almost nothing. Keep this in mind if you are making parmesan creamed spinach for a large crowd. Be sure to get an extra large bag from Costco or several of the regular sized bags.
- Many bags of fresh spinach say "washed" or "triple washed". You still need to wash it before making this creamy spinach recipe. The reason being that the water that clings to itself after washing will help it wilt down during the cooking process.
- Fresh garlic works best. It mast much more flavor that refrigerated, minced garlic.
- Season generously with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Love creamed veggies? Try our Old Fashioned Creamed Peas recipe.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 208mg | Potassium: 859mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 14564IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 4mg