Southern Sweet Chocolate Pie
Southern Sweet Chocolate Pie is a homemade baked chocolate pie topped with chopped pecans and coconut. It's all the flavors of your favorite German Chocolate Cake in a decadent pie. This old fashioned chocolate pie is Grandma approved!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 deep dish, frozen pie crust
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Set aside until needed.
In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat; whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
Gradually whisk evaporated milk into melted chocolate.
Blend chocolate mixture into sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
Pour into pie crust. Do not over fill. If there's too much filling, see notes for remaining.
Combine coconut and pecans; sprinkle over chocolate filling, covering the entire pie.
Bake for 35 to 50 minutes or until browned and puffed up. If the center of the pie is puffed up, the pie is done. Be sure to drape the pie with foil about 20 minutes into cooking to prevent over-browning.
Let cool for a minimum of 4 hours before cutting to let the filling set up.
- Use baking chocolate not chocolate chips.
- Try a combination of unsweetened baking chocolate and semi-sweet baking chocolate, if desired.
- Be sure to use a deep dish pie crust (or two small pie crusts). If you use 2 small, the baking time will be reduced. Also note, if there seems to be too much filling for the crust, pour it into a small baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to make a small separate dessert. It's better to do this than to overfill your pie crust.
- Put a cookie sheet underneath the pie in the over, just in case it overflows. This will prevent a mess. Also see note above about not overfilling the pie crust.
- Lightly drape a piece of foil over the pie about 20 minutes into baking to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- How do you know when it's baked through? This southern sweet chocolate pie will puff---be sure it's puffed in the center too.
- This coconut pecan chocolate pie needs to set for a minimum of 4 hours before eating so that the filling can set up.
- Love German Chocolate flavors? Try our Granny's Homemade German Chocolate Icing.
Calories: 608kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 290mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 52g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 2mg