Old Fashioned Bologna Salad
Old Fashioned Bologna Salad uses a homemade cooked dressing instead of mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. The sweet and tangy dressing perfectly compliments the classic ingredients of bologna, relish, onions, celery and hard-boiled eggs. Serve it on humble sliced bread or on crackers for a vintage dinner.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound bologna
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 hard boiled eggs
Homemade Cooked Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 egg yolks
Grind bologna, and chop onions, celery and hard boiled eggs. (See notes for an easy shortcut.)
Combine ground bologna, diced veggies and eggs and pickle relish. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, cook sugar, flour, salt, pepper, ground mustard, vinegar, butter and egg yolks until just boiling and thickened. Let cool.
Combine cooked dressing and bologna mixture.
Eat on crackers on as a sandwich.
- To easy grind bologna and chop veggies, add them all to a food processer and pulse until you get the desired texture.
- Substitute ground ham for bologna, if desired.
- Use more or less sweet pickle relish to taste, or use dill pickle relish for a whole new spin.
- Shredded cheddar cheese would be a great addition to this sandwich spread recipe.
- Omit onion or add more to desired tastes.
- Use yellow mustard instead of ground mustard, if desired.
- Try our Bologna Salad with Miracle Whip too!
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 845mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg