Baked Italian Pork Chops
Baked Italian Pork Chops is a fail-proof oven baked pork chop recipe. The pork chops are baked slowly in the oven for a juicy, fork-tender dinner. Say goodbye to dry, tough pork chops with this easy Italian pork chop recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 - 6 pork chops (see notes for thickness recommendations)
- Garlic salt
- Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 15 ounces Italian-style canned tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (substitutions in notes below)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Season both sides of pork chops generously with garlic salt and black pepper.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat; brown both sides of pork chops.
Place browned pork chops in prepared baking dish.
In a bowl, mix drained mushrooms (optional), canned tomatoes with the juices, and wine; pour over browned pork chops.
Sprinkle dried oregano over top of pork chops.
Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on thickness of pork. See below for recommendations. Be sure to baste pork in its liquids every 30 minutes.
Serve over rice, if desired.
- Pork chops come in different thicknesses. Add additional cooking time up to 2 hours for thicker chops.
- For 1/2 inch thickness, bake around 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- For 1 inch thick chops, bake for 1.5 to 2 hours at 325 degrees. F.
- Baste pork chops with pan sauces every 30 minutes during cooking.
- Substitute water or broth for wine, if desired.
- A dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc is perfect in this easy baked pork chop recipe.
- Substitute dried basil or parsley for dried oregano, if desired, or leave the dried herbs out completely in the case that you don't have any on-hand.
- Omit canned mushrooms, if desired. If you choose to use them, drain them first.
- Can't find Italian-style canned tomatoes? Create your own by stirring in garlic and basil to the tomatoes.
- Pork steaks can be used instead of pork chops.
- Love tender, oven baked pork chops ? Try our fancy version!
Calories: 675kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 74g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 1534mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 4mg