Ooey Gooey Mixed Nut Bars
Looking for a recipe with mixed nuts? Ooey Gooey Mixed Nut Bars are a salty and sweet cookie bar that will satisfy both cravings.
Servings: 32 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 14.75 ounces can of mixed nuts, chopped
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter and brown sugar; add flour and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
Press into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven; remove from oven and spread chopped mixed nuts over top. Set aside while making butterscotch sauce.
Melt butterscotch chips, corn syrup, 2 T. butter and water in a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth.
Pour over mixed nuts, spreading it evenly.
Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is bubbly all the way to the center.
Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars or squares.
- Try leaving the mixed nuts whole instead of chopped for another beautiful mixed nut cookie.
- Be sure to generously spray the bottom of sides of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. The butterscotch topping is sticky, and this allows for easy removal from the pan.
- The dough for the bottom layer tends to be crumbly; press it evenly into the pan.
- Use a double boiler to melt the butterscotch topping or make your own double boiler with a small saucepan filled with water and a glass bowl nestled on top.
- Love the combination of salty and sweet? Try these Salted Nut Squares --- they taste like a PayDay Bar.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 94mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 123IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg