Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
Dark Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are a combination of chewy, sweet and salty all-in-one perfect dessert.
Servings: 24 servings
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa)
- sea salt, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 - 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Discard yolks or save for a different recipe.
Beat egg whites on low until broken up. Add sugar and cream of tartar, and beat on medium until frothy.
Gently fold in by hand sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extra.
Stir in coconut, and mix well. Let sit for 2 - 3 minutes.
Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto lined cookie sheets.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until set and lightly golden brown on top. Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes on pan before placing on cooling racks to cool completely.
Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler until smooth. Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in chocolate; sprinkle generously with sea salt. Place chocolate side up on parchment paper to harden.
- Many shredded, sweetened coconut comes in 14 ounce bags. Use 1 full bag + 2 cups from the 2nd bag.
- For a new spin, add 1 teaspoon lemon zest to the coconut mixture.
- These chocolate coconut macaroons are sticky on the bottom after baking; be sure to line your cookie sheet with parchment paper so that they are easy to remove from the pan.
- I prefer dark chocolate for these chewy coconut macaroons, preferably with 60-70% cocoa. If you prefer milk chocolate, then go ahead and substitute it for dark chocolate.
- Aldi sells great dark chocolate in bar form.
- These easy coconut macaroons are perfect without the chocolate, if desired.
- Substitute coarse Kosher salt for sea salt, if desired. Pink Himalayan Salt would work too.
- Love candy? Try our Fantasy Fudge!
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 91mg | Potassium: 225mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 48IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2mg