Old Fashioned Peanut Blossoms
Old Fashioned Peanut Blossoms are called America's Favorite Christmas Cookie for a reason. They are the perfect marriage of peanut butter and chocolate, and kids go nuts for these classic holiday cookies.
Servings: 44 cookies
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco (shortening)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar (for rolling)
- 11 oz. bag Hershey kisses, foil wrappings removed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt.
Cream sifted ingredients, shortening and peanut butter with a mixer.
Combine white and brown sugars, and gradually add to the creamed mixtures while mixing.
Whisk together egg, milk and vanilla.
Add wet ingredients to the creamed ingredients, and mix until smooth.
Roll teaspoonfuls into balls and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased sheet pan/ cookie pan.
Bake for 8 minutes, remove from oven. Add a Hershey's Kiss to each cookie, pushing down in the center until the cookie cracks. Return to the oven for an additional 2 - 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them so the chocolate doesn't burn.
Let cool before eating.
- These Peanut Blossoms are made with Crisco, also called shortening. To make it easy, buy the Crisco sticks. It's as easy as cutting the sticks on the marked lines.
- One bag of Hershey's Kisses work for this recipe (unless you snack on more than you use for the recipe.)
- This recipe calls for a two-step baking process.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookie should be slightly under baked.
- Then you remove the pan from the oven, add a chocolate kiss to each cookie, and return the sheet pan to the oven to finish baking.
- The peanut blossom cookies should crack as you push the Hershey kiss down into the cookie.
- Love peanut butter cookies? Try our Sea Salted Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chunks!
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 73mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg