Creamy Ham and Bean Soup
Creamy Ham and Bean Soup is a warm, comforting recipe and a great way to use by leftover ham. Made using canned pinto beans, this soup can be ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups ham, diced small
- 1/2 cup flour
- 12 ounces canned evaporated milk
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 30 ounces canned pinto beans, do not drain
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium saucepan, melt butter.
Add onions, garlic and diced ham, and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add flour, and stir for 30 seconds.
Slowly add in evaporated milk and chicken brown, stirring constantly.
Bring mixture to a boil while stirring.
Add undrained pintos to soup, and heat until warmed through.
Taste, and add salt and pepper generously.
- This is a ham and bean soup with canned beans. Do not drain the beans before adding to the soup recipe.
- Substitute in Great Northern Beans or Cannellini beans if desired.
- In a bind, regular milk can be used instead of evaporated milk.
- Season this ham and canned pinto bean soup generously with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Looking for another leftover ham recipe? Try Mom's Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole.
- Please note that carb counts, calorie counts and general nutritional information varies greatly depending on the products you use. The nutritional information below is auto-calculated and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 1381mg | Potassium: 795mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 608IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 3mg