Spanish Hot Dog Sauce
Whether you call it Coney sauce, chili sauce or Spanish Hot Dog Sauce, it's a cult favorite that takes you right back to your childhood. This restaurant-style hot dog sauce has the perfect amount of spice to top off your favorite dog!
- 2 pounds ground beef raw
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cups ketchup
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 - 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
In a large skillet, mix raw hamburger and water; add onion.
Heat until it comes to a simmer; add ketchup, chili powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
Simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently. If the mixture becomes too dry, add more water, a little at a time.
Taste, and add up to another teaspoon salt.
Right before serving, stir in white vinegar, starting with 1 tablespoon and adding up to 1 additional tablespoon based on flavor.
- If desired, use dehydrated chopped onions in place of fresh, chopped onions.
- If you prefer a looser, wetter chili hot dog sauce, add more water while simmering.
- Add salt to taste, starting with 1 teaspoon and going up to 2 teaspoons.
- White vinegar gives a nice little tang to these copycat B&K root beer Spanish sauce recipe. Start with 1 tablespoon and add up to 2 tablespoons total of white vinegar based on your taste buds!
- For a classic Coney dog recipe, try this version!
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1008mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 428IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 2mg