Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans
Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans are a German-inspired side dish. Canned green beans are enhanced with water chestnuts, onions and bacon and baked in a slightly sweet and tangy sauce. These can be eaten right away or prepped the night before for the perfect holiday green bean recipe.
Servings: 16 people
- 4 cans green beans (16 ounce cans)
- 8 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 12 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 small onions, diced
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
Drain green beans, reserving 2 cups of the liquid. Add cornstarch, salt, dry mustard, brown sugar and vinegar to the juice, whisking until a slurry is formed.
Fry bacon pieces in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon but leave the grease in the pan.
Add diced onions and water chestnuts to bacon grease, sauteing until lightly browned.
Pour in the slurry mixture, stirring constantly until the mixture boils.
Stir in the beans.
Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with bacon pieces.
Eat immediately or refrigerate overnight until ready to serve.
If prepping ahead, remove lid and cook in a preheated 350 degree F oven until warmed through, approximately 25 minutes.
- Be sure to reserve the juices when draining the canned green beans. This recipe calls for 2 cups of juices.
- The first step in the recipe involves making a slurry. The purpose of a slurry is to thicken a sauce usually using cornstarch or some other thickening agent.
- Love water chestnuts? Try adding an extra can to this Dutch bean recipe.
- To make this a make ahead green bean recipe, make the recipe and refrigerate until ready to eat. Warm the pan of green beans in a 350 degree F oven until bubbly. (The taste is even better the second day.)
- The combination of brown sugar and vinegar gives these green beans with water chestnuts a German flavor profile.
- Looking for a Crock Pot Green Bean recipe? We've got one of those too!
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 406mg | Potassium: 204mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg