Cheesy Zucchini Soup
It's easy, it's cheesy, and it's a great way to use up some of your excess zucchini. Cheesy Zucchini Soup is light enough for the summer months, or freeze your zucchini during summer, and pull it out for this recipe.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 medium zucchini, grated or shredded
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 32 ounces chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
Place grated zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let drain for 30 minutes.
After the 30 minutes, squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini by hand, or with a clean towel or paper towel.
Melt the butter in a large skillet; add all the grated veggies and cook for 5 minutes or until the veggies are limp.
Stir in the flour, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
Increase heat to medium, and slowly add the chicken broth, stirring often until the soup is smooth and thickened.
Add cheese and milk; do not boil. Heat until warm and smooth.
- Why do you salt zucchini? It draws out the excess moisture and allows it to run out the colander and down the drain. This keeps the soup from being too liquidy.
- Be sure to squeeze the zucchini after salting with your hands or with a clean towel or paper towel. It's amazing how much water comes out of the zucchini.
- Do I rinse the zucchini after salting? No, it would defeat the purpose of salting the zucchini in the first place.
- Shredded carrots could be omitted. If so, add more zucchini.
- How to freeze fresh zucchini? Go ahead and salt, drain and squeeze the zucchini. Add it to plastic freezer bags, lay the flat, and freeze immediately.
- If you freeze your zucchini for the recipe, all you need to do is pull it out to thaw in the refrigerator the day before. I'd go ahead and give it another good squeeze before adding it to the skillet.
- Substitute your favorite type of cheese for Monterrey Jack, if desired. You might even add some Velveeta or cream cheese.
- Love this type of soup? Try our Cheesy Broccoli Soup too.
Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 2024mg | Potassium: 468mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4119IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 361mg | Iron: 1mg