Granny's German Chocolate Cake Icing
Granny's German Chocolate Cake Icing is an old fashioned, withstand the test of time type of recipe. The homemade frosting is made on the stove-top and is truly the "icing" on the cake. Top your favorite chocolate cake or maybe just eat it with a spoon.
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks and margarine to a boil.
Cook, stirring constantly until the icing thickens and turns a light brown color, approximately 12 minutes.
Remove from heat; add vanilla, coconut and pecans and whisk until completely incorporated.
Spread over a cooled German Chocolate Cake.
- This coconut pecan frosting is made on the stove-top. All you need is a medium sized saucepan and a whisk.
- Substitute butter for margarine, if desired.
- Prepare your cake ahead of time, and let it cook before icing.
- I prefer chopped pecans, but walnuts could work in a pinch.
- A boxed cake mix is perfect for this recipe.
- Or, make our triple chocolate cake instead.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 459IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg