Zucchini Tomato Casserole with Ground Beef
Zucchini Tomato Casserole with Ground Beef is a simple summer garden vegetable bake that is light and fresh without a heavy sauce to weigh you down. Our version features zucchini, onion, corn and tomatoes, but yours can be individualized to your own personal taste.
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon bread crumbs
Brown and drain ground beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray layer sliced zucchini so that they are overlapping and covering the entire bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle with chopped onion and frozen corn. Arrange tomato slices over the casserole.
Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
Add the cooked and drained ground beef over the casserole. Top with shredded cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 20- 25 minutes. The casserole is done with the zucchini is fork tender and the cheese is melted.
- Be sure to season the ground beef as it is cooking with salt and pepper.
- Substitute shredded cooked chicken for ground beef, if desired.
- Make this garden casserole a side dish by omitting the ground beef totally.
- Depending on the size of your zucchini, you may need 2 if they are on the small side.
- Sugar can be completely omitted, if desired.
- Add any of your favorite vegetables to this garden vegetable casserole. Diced peppers and sliced mushrooms are great options.
- Any type of shredded cheese would work. Be creative!
- Cooking for one or two? Cut the recipe in half and use a smaller baking dish.
- If you don't like your cheese to be crispy around the edges, turn down the temperature to 350 degrees F, and cover with foil before baking.
- Love zucchini? Try it roasted with Parmesan cheese!
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 565IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 2mg