Sour Cream Zucchini Casserole
Wondering how to use up zucchini from your garden? Sour Cream Zucchini Casserole is an easy side dish that combines a creamy, cheesy zucchini base with a crunchy Ritz cracker topping.
Servings: 8 people
- 3 cups cooked zucchini
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes or fresh chives
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- garlic salt
- 1/2 sleeve crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 Tablespoon softened butter
To prepare zucchini, slice zucchini in 1/4 inch slices. Boil in salted water for 6 to 8 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk; add dried onions (or chives). Stir in sour cream, melted butter, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and paprika.
Add sour cream mixture to the drained zucchini; gently stir.
Pour into a 1/2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Add crushed Ritz cracker and remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Dot with softened butter.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Try using yellow summer squash instead of zucchini.
- Drain the zucchini really well before combining with sour cream mixture.
- The sour cream mixture is thick in consistency and looks almost like pimento cheese.
- Generic butter crackers, bread crumbs, or crushed cornflakes will work instead of Ritz crackers in this creamy zucchini casserole.
- This sour cream zucchini can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a bigger crowd!
- Here's another favorite zucchini casserole: Cheesy Zucchini Casserole!
Calories: 99kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 404IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg