Texas Jalapeno Squash Casserole
Texas Jalapeno Squash Casserole is a new take on our favorite yellow squash casserole featuring diced jalapeno for a bit of heat and crushed Frito chips for a crunchy topping.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 cups diced yellow summer squash
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (with or without seeds)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed Frito corn chips
Steam diced summer squash in a double boiler until crisp tender, approximately 5 minutes. (Or boil in water until crisp tender, and drain well).
In a small skillet, melt butter and saute onions until translucent.
Mix together steamed squash, sauteed onions, diced jalapeno, oregano, cheese and salt and pepper.
Pour mixture unto a 1 1/2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle with crushed Frito corn chips.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- The reason this is called a Texas summer squash casserole is because it features diced jalapenos and a crushed Frito topping.
- For more heat, leave the jalapeno seeds in the casserole, or for less, remove the seeds.
- Substitute out Fritos for crushed butter crackers or buttered bread crumbs, if desired.
- To prepare the summer squash, either steam it in a boiler pan or boil in water. Be sure not to over-cook it. The end result should be crisp-tender, not mushy.
- Colby Jack or Monterrey Jack cheese can be substituted for Cheddar cheese.
- I prefer to grate my own cheese for this Texas Style Squash Casserole as opposed to using the pre-shredded type. But in a pinch, the bagged kind works just fine.
- Try a couple more yellow squash casseroles including Kentucky Squash Casserole and Cheesy Squash Casserole.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 592mg | Potassium: 269mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 1mg