Steamed Swiss Chard
With a few simple ingredients, you can make this Simple Steamed Swiss Chard as tasty as it is beautiful. Garlic, onions, broth, olive oil, salt and pepper can quickly transform these greens into the perfect summer side dish. Plus, we have a special version using the addition of fried bacon right before serving.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 bunches Swiss Chard
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
Remove stems from chard. Roughly chop leaves, and dice stems. Keep stems separate from the leaves.
Heat the olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add diced chard stems and onions, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
Add the chard leaves and vegetable broth to the skillet, and continue to cook until the leaves are soft and tender for about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Add diced fried bacon on top, if desired.
- Swap dry white wine, dry sherry, or chicken broth for vegetable broth if desired in this sauteed Swiss chard recipe.
- Green onions or regular white or yellow onions can be used in this rainbow chard recipe.
- Add the garlic after sauteing the onions and chard stems. This prevents the garlic from burning and producing yucky off-flavors.
- For an extra delicious option, serve this as Swiss Chard and Bacon---just add fried bacon bits or chunks over top.
- Try our other favorite rainbow chard recipe: Swiss Chard with White Beans.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 398mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6199IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg