Perfect Microwave Asparagus
Take the confusion out of preparing asparagus by following this Perfect Microwave Asparagus recipe. The method is quick and easy, and the result is a roasted asparagus that will soon become your go-to asparagus recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus spears, washed to remove dirt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or Pink Himalayan Salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Break asparagus spears into bite-sized pieces, approximately 1 to 1/2 inches. Discard the woody ends.
Put the asparagus pieces in a microwave steamer dish.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to evenly coat the asparagus.
Cover with the microwave steamer lid. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes depending on your desired texture. Start with 2 minutes, adding 30 second increments. Check the texture with a fork. See the notes below about texture.
- This is a fast way to cook asparagus.
- There's no need to cut the asparagus. It will naturally break into bite-sized pieces. Discard the woody ends.
- Everyone has different preferences on the texture of cooked asparagus. If you like a bite to yours, start with 2 minutes of cooking time. Check it with a fork, and then continue to cook for 30 second intervals. Check after each one until it's at your desired texture. I like mine a bit more soft without being crunchy, so I tend to cook mine more like 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
- The cook time may also change if you are cooking up more or less asparagus than the recipe calls. I often make a single portion which means I take the cook time down to about 2 minutes.
- Do not add water to the microwave steamer. It is not necessary.
- The perfect cooking vessel is a microwaveable steamer dish. Our favorite comes from Pampered Chef, but there's other brands on Amazon like this one.
- The texture is that of roasted asparagus. Nobody will know you took a shortcut and used the microwave.
- Tweak the seasonings with whatever you prefer. My favorite is the simple combination of salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- To make perfect microwave asparagus a clean eating recipe or one that follows a 30 day clean eating challenge, use organic ingredients and substitute Pink Himalayan Salt for sea salt.
- Try another favorite asparagus recipe of ours Asparagus Corn Salad.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 227mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 851IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg