Rhubarb Dream Cake
What's better than a dream? Layers of buttery shortbread, rich rhubarb custard and cool whipped topping make this Rhubarb Dream Cake a favorite of among all rhubarb recipes.
Layer 1 (shortbread crust)
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
Layer two (rhubarb custard)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated (white) sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine flour (2 cups), powdered sugar and softened butter until a soft dough forms; spread into the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, beat eggs, white sugar, flour (1/2 cup), and salt until well blended; stir in rhubarb.
Pour over baked crust. Return to oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Let cool completely. Top with Cool Whip.
- Our variety of rhubarb is more green in color; your rhubarb dream cake may be more red in color.
- 1 cup butter = 2 sticks
- Margarine can be substituted for butter. Let soften first.
- Let the rhubarb custard cake cool completely before topping with Cool Whip.
- If you aren't a fan of whipped topping, you can leave out that layer, and these rhubarb custard bars will be just as delicious.
- Store rhubarb dream dessert in the refrigerator.
- Try our Grandma's Rhubarb Streusel Dessert! You won't be disappointed.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1mg