Carrot Raisin Salad
Looking for the perfect summer dish to pair with grilled steak or chicken? Carrot Raisin Salad combines sweet raisins and crunchy walnuts in a simple mayonnaise-based dressing. Make this ahead to let the flavors meld into sweet perfection.
Servings: 6 people
- 4 cups peeled, shredded carrots (approximately 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
Combine shredded carrots, raisins, chopped nuts, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange juice.
Gently stir in mayonnaise until combined.
Chill for a minimum 1 hour before serving.
- To easily shred carrots, use a grater attachment in a food processor like this one. Or, use on old fashioned hand grater.
- 4 cups shredded carrots is approximately 1 pound.
- Substitute pecans for walnuts if desired in this easy carrot salad recipe.
- Low Fat Mayonnaise could be used to lower the fat content. If you have Miracle Whip on hand, use it but leave out the sugar.
- Fresh juice squeezed from an orange is preferable, but in a pinch use the OJ in the fridge. Truth be told, that's what I typically do!
- If you do use a fresh orange for carrot raisin nut salad, try adding a little zest for added flavor.
- Be sure to let this salad chill for one hour minimum to let the flavors blend. It tastes even better if you make it the night before.
- Use yellow or purple raisins.
- If you love vintage salad recipes, try our Old Fashioned Pea Salad and Red Bean Salad.
- I tend to add a bit more than 1/2 cup seedless raisins; if it looks sparse, pour a few more in.
Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 14281IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg