Fried Cabbage with Bacon - Skillet Fried Cabbage with Bacon
Bacon and Cabbage are the perfect combination, and Fried Cabbage with Bacon might be my favorite side dish. This fail-proof recipe tastes just like Mom's. Pair it with steak, chicken or pork, or maybe you'll just eat it all by itself. It's that good!
- 1 head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 4-6 slices bacon, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp; remove bacon to paper towels to drain. (If there's an excessive amount of bacon grease, you can pour off half if desired).
To the bacon grease, add cabbage, onion, sugar, salt and pepper; saute over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add water and bacon; cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally or until cabbage is very tender.
If there's water left in the bottom of the pan after 20 minutes, remove lid and increase heat until remaining liquid is cooked off.
- Use 4-6 slices of bacon for this recipe; it's up to you!
- If there's an excessive amount of bacon grease, you can remove half before adding the cabbage. Save it for another recipe.
- Use red or green cabbage, or try Savoy cabbage for an entirely different cabbage recipe.
- If there's water left over in the bottom of the pan after 20 minutes, raise the heat again and cook off the liquid with the lid off.
- Love a little heat? Try adding hot sauce to taste!
- This German Red Cabbage Recipe is amazing too.
- Have extra cabbage? Try Creamy Cabbage or Cheesy Cabbage Casserole too!
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 385mg | Potassium: 235mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 111IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg