Grandma's Deviled Eggs
Grandma's Deviled Eggs are an old-fashioned version without relish. The creamy, yolk filling is a combination of sugar, vinegar, mustard and Miracle Whip. One bite of these will take you right back the holidays from your past.
Servings: 24 egg halves
- 12 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- paprika (optional)
Hard boil the eggs; cool, peel and cut into half lengthwise.
Pop out the yolks and place in a mixing bowl. Mash the yolks until smooth (a mixer can be used).
In a separate bowl, mix together Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, vinegar, sugar and salt.
Combine the mixture with the mashed egg yolks; mix until smooth.
Scoop the mixture back into the egg halves. See the notes below for several options on this process.
Sprinkle with paprika before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
- There are many ways to hard boil eggs; my favorite is to use an Instant Pot. Check out how to do this over at Farm Wife Feeds.
- A mixer is the best way to ensure a smooth filling for these classic hard boiled eggs.
- Grandma's recipe is special because they are deviled eggs without relish. Instead, the delicious flavor comes from the combination of vinegar and sugar.
- Substitute mayonnaise for Miracle Whip if you prefer.
- The amount of filling may be less or more than the number of yolk you have. It all depends on how full you fill the eggs.
- Use a small cookie scoop or a piping bag to place the filling back in the eggs.
- If you don't have a piping bag, put the filling in a small plastic resealable bag and seal. Push the filling to one corner, and snip off a small piece of the end to make the tip. Squeeze this best ever deviled egg filling into the eggs for a pretty presentation.
- Try Grandma's other classic recipes like Apple Crisp and Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 136mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 119IU | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg