Jambalaya with Ham - Easy Jambalaya Rice Recipe
Jambalaya with Ham is the perfect leftover ham recipe after the holidays. This quick and easy jambalaya rice recipe is a one pan version that comes together in 30 minutes. This is a jambalaya recipe without shrimp.
- 2-3 cups ham, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5) ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (NOT INSTANT)
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco (optional)
In a large skillet, melt butter and lightly brown ham.
Add diced onion and green pepper, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add minced garlic, and saute for another 30 seconds.
To the skillet, add un-drained tomatoes, water, rice and Tabasco.
Cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Occasionally stir lightly.
Season with salt to taste before serving.
- This version of jambalaya is special because it's a jambalaya without shrimp. Instead we use ham.
- Cook this in a skillet that has a tight fitting lid like this one.
- Use canned diced tomatoes; do not drain.
- A 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes can be substituted for (2) 14.5 ounce cans.
- Jarred minced garlic can be used. Be sure not to let the garlic burn.
- Use regular white rice, not the instant variety.
- Tabasco is 100% optional. My family does not like heat; so I omit. If your family likes it really spicy, add more than the 1/8 teaspoon that the recipe calls for.
- I love how this is a one pan jambalaya recipe. This makes for easy cleanup.
- My favorite recipe for a spiral ham is this 3 Ingredient version featuring orange cream soda in the crock pot.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 529mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 211IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg