Mom's Oven Pork Chops and Potatoes
Mom's Oven Pork Chops and Potatoes includes just six simple ingredients. This method of baking results in a fork-tender pork chop that the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4-6 pork chops (or pork steaks), seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 (10.5) ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Season both sides of pork chops liberally with salt and pepper.
Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
Brown both sides of pork chops. Move to prepared dish.
Slice scrubbed potatoes and arrange over pork chops in baking dish.
Season with 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Spread mushroom soup over potatoes.
Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue to bake for 20 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
If desired, broil for 3-5 minutes. Let casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Adjust the quantities of ingredients based on the number of people who need to be fed.
- If you need to make more pork chops, go for it.
- Need to stretch it a bit? Add more potatoes.
- For my family of 2 adults and 3 small children, I only make 3 pork chops and use only 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.
- I used pork chops for my casserole but Mom would also often use pork steak.
- Any kind of potato can be used. If you're using a Russet or Idaho potato, you may want to peel it. I used Yukon gold which have a thinner skin. Be sure to slice them thin.
- No cream of mushroom soup in the cabinet? WWMD---- What Would Mom Do? Mom would substitute a can of cream of celery or whatever cream soup you have on hand.
- Try to spread the cream soup to cover all the potatoes in this tender baked pork chop recipe.
- We have some more pork chop recipes. Try our Fancy Baked Pork Chops, Cranberry Pork Chops and Crock Pot French Onion Pork Chops and Rice.
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1004mg | Potassium: 1220mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg