Southern Vegetable Salad
Southern Vegetable Salad is a tried and true vinegar based salad that marinates in the refrigerator. It's cool and refreshing, and gets better with time. Store this marinated vegetable salad up to a month in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 15 ounces French style green beans, drained
- 15 ounces early peas, drained
- 15 ounces shoe peg corn, drained
- 2 ounces pimentos, drained
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cauliflower, small florets
In a saucepan, bring vinegar, oil. salt, celery seed, pepper and sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Combine all vegetables in a large bowl.
Pour cooled dressing over vegetables, stir until combined.
Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 day before eating.
Marinated vegetable salad will keep up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
- This is a great way to clean out your refrigerator or pantry. Use up whatever vegetables you have on hand for this southern vegetable salad.
- Drain off the liquid from the green beans, peas, corn, and pimentos.
- The dressing in this marinated vegetable salad needs to be completely cooled before pouring over the vegetables. You don't want to cook the vegetables!
- French-style canned green beans work best.
- This vinegar vegetable salad calls for canned shoe peg corn but thawed frozen corn works great too.
- Be sure to refrigerate for at least one day before eating so that the vegetable marinate completely and soak up all the flavors in the dressing.
- Marinated vegetable salad keeps for up to a month in the refrigerator.
- Try our Cauliflower Ranch Salad if you're looking for another party-friendly option.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1873IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg