Granny's Boston Cream Cake
Granny's Boston Cream Cake is a shortcut recipe for your beloved Boston Cream Pie. Topped with chocolate fudge icing, a yellow cake mix is taken to a whole new level with a decadent cream cheese layer.
- 15.25 ounces boxed yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 16 ounces chocolate fudge frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs (3), oil and water for 2 minutes or until smooth. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat sugar, butter, milk, flour, cream cheese, vanilla and eggs (4) until smooth and lump free.
In the prepared dish, add half the cake batter; pour cream cheese mixture slowly over top. Top with remaining cake batter.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely before icing with chocolate fudge icing.
Store in the refrigerator.
- Substitute margarine for butter, if desired. Be sure each is at room temperature.
- Use a yellow box cake mix for this shortcut Boston Cream Pie. A white cake mix would work but yellow is the classic flavor.
- Traditional Boston Cream Pie has a chocolate fudge icing. Feel free to make homemade, but we usually buy the pre-made tubs. You can use chocolate but chocolate fudge is the classic flavor.
- Let the Boston Cream Cake cool completely before icing.
- Be sure to refrigerate Boston Cream Pie.
- Try our Granny's Double Chocolate version!
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 578IU | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 1mg