Savory Rice Casserole
Savory Sausage Rice Casserole is a simple recipe from the past. With kid-friendly ingredients including pork sausage and white rice, you'll have a meal the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup white rice (not minute rice)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Brown sausage in a skillet; if there's excess grease drain off, leaving approximately 2 tablespoons.
In the skillet, add all remaining ingredients and stir.
Pour into prepared dish; cover tightly with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes; remove the foil, and bake for an additional hour.
Let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- I used pork sausage for this casserole. Pork sausage is also called breakfast sausage.
- If there's a bunch of oil in the pan after browning the pork sausage, drain off the excess. Leave approximately 2 tablespoons of oil with the browned meat.
- Use regular white rice in this sausage casserole. DO NOT use minute rice.
- Do not precook the rice before adding it with the rest of the ingredients. The rice should be raw.
- Substitute 2 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes if desired.
- Be sure to cover the casserole tightly with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Let the sausage and white rice casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving to let all the remaining liquids absorb completely.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork or stir well before serving.
- Try some of our other favorite casseroles including Frisco Melt Tater Tot Casserole and Sausage Potato Casserole.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1033mg | Potassium: 343mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 132IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg