Creamy Chicken Chili - Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
Creamy Chicken Chili is a versatile recipe that can be made on the stove top or in the Crock Pot. The ingredients are simple including chicken, corn, diced green chilies, cream cheese and great northern beans. This chicken chili Verde will hit the spot of a cool day and will cure any hunger pains.
Servings: 8 people
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 11 ounces canned diced green chilies (7 ounce can + 4 ounce can)
- 14 ounces frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- (2) 15.5 ounce cans Great Northern Beans, drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add chicken, chicken broth, onion, diced green chilies, corn, and dried seasonings to the Crock Pot insert.
Cook covered on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked and tender.
Remove chicken and shred, return to the soup with the addition of the beans, cream cheese and cilantro.
Cover and continue to cook until cream cheese is fully incorporated, stirring often.
Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
For the stove-top version, see the notes.
- Soups are versatile; add more or less of any given ingredient or try adding something else you have on hand. Try diced tomatoes, salsa, or diced peppers.
- If you prefer more heat, try swapping in medium or hot diced green chilies or add more ground cayenne pepper.
- Chili powder can be used instead of cayenne pepper.
- Substitute canned corn for frozen corn.
- I drained my Great Northern Beans but you can add the whole can, if desired.
- Hate cilantro? Leave it out completely.
- Feel free to use both the cilantro leave and stems. The stems have great flavor.
- Be sure to taste before serving and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Try my other Slow Cooker Chicken Chili for a completely different version.
- To make on the stove top:
- Sauté diced onions; add chicken and broth and simmer until tender.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add chicken and all remaining ingredients (except cream cheese and cilantro) to the broth.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans, cream cheese and cilantro, and simmer until the cream cheese is incorporated and smooth.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1357mg | Potassium: 1120mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 3mg