Potato Sausage Casserole
Our Potato Sausage Casserole is the real deal. Potatoes, ground pork sausage, and shredded cheese are covered in a basic white sauce to form an easy casserole that is reminiscent of what Mom or Grandma would serve.
Servings: 8 people
- 4 cups potatoes, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 cup reserved potato water
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Boil in salted water the cleaned, sliced potatoes for 5 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water; drain the remaining water.
Brown pork sausage loosely; drain excess grease.
In a small saucepan; melt margarine. Add flour and stir until smooth.
Slowly add 1 cup reserved potato water and milk; whisking over medium heat until smooth.
In the casserole dish, layer all potatoes, onions, sausage and cheese. (First layer potatoes, second layer onions, etc.)
Pour white sauce over the entire casserole.
Bake for 45 minutes and remove from oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Love spice? Try using hot pork sausage in this Potato Sausage Casserole.
- If you are using unseasoned pork sausage, you will want to add salt to the cream sauce.
- I did not peel my potatoes because I used Yukon gold potatoes which have a thin skin. Use whatever potatoes you have on hand and peel if desired before boiling.
- Onions are optional. Use as many or as little. They do add great flavor to this old fashioned casserole without cream of mushroom soup.
- I like my casseroles golden brown on top. If you prefer less browning, cook this pork sausage casserole at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Let the oven sausage casserole sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving so that it holds together.
- Try some more old fashioned casserole recipes like Mom's Tuna Casserole, Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole and Grandma's Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 520mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 421IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 2mg