Creamed Peas and New Potatoes
Creamed Peas and New Potatoes come together quickly on the stove top and pair perfectly along side any entree. This old fashioned side dish tastes just like Mom or Grandma made it.
- 1 pound new potatoes (about 10)
- 12 ounces frozen peas
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 cup milk
Scrub potatoes. Add potatoes to a saucepan or skillet with water. Boil until fork tender.
Turn off heat; add frozen peas, stir. Immediately drain off the water and add peas and potatoes back to the same skillet or pan. Put on the lid and set aside.
In a small saucepan, cook onions in the margarine until tender (just a couple minutes).
Add flour, salt and pepper, and cook until thickened and bubbly. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 1-2 minutes. Taste the white sauce. If bland, add more salt and pepper.
Combine the white sauce and the vegetables. Stir and serve.
- My cream peas and potato recipe used frozen peas but you can use fresh shelled peas too.
- Peas can easily be over cooked. Be sure to add to the boiling water, and then immediately drain the water. Put peas and potatoes back into the same skillet and cover. The residual heat will perfectly cook the peas.
- Taste the white sauce before adding to the vegetables. If it is bland, add more salt and pepper.
- If you want to fancy this dish up, use a potato peeler and remove a narrow strip of the skin on each potato before boiling.
- I have a many creamy pea recipes. Try my old fashioned recipe and my canned pea recipe.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 391mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 531IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg