A Creamy Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
Hot Buttered Rum with Ice Cream is a creamy version of this vintage cocktail. The base consists of brown sugar, powdered sugar, and butter spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in a quart of vanilla ice cream, and you have a vat of deliciousness. Just throw the ice cream mixture in the freezer to pull out when you are ready to use. How could this warm beverage get any better? Add a shot of dark rum, and top with boiling water.
Servings: 32 servings
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 1 pound light brown sugar
- 1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
Cream together softened butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add softened ice cream and mix until smooth.
Pour into an airtight bowl, and store in the freezer.
To serve, fill cup with one scoop of ice cream mixture. Add one shot of rum and fill cup with boiling water.
- Be sure to let butter soften at room temperature so that it creams easily with the sugars.
- If your ice cream base is lumpy, microwave it in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Add as much or as little dark rum as you like.
- For a new version, try substituting in chocolate liqueur for the rum.
- The base to this buttered rum with ice cream stays soft in the freezer, making it easy to scoop. Use an ice cream scoop like this one!
- Use as little or as much of the sweet, buttery, sugary, ice cream base as you like. Try not to eat all of the ice cream base with a spoon. It's so yummy that it's hard not to.
- This easy hot buttered rum recipe makes a large vat of base for the freezer. It serves a crowd for a large party, or it keeps in the freezer for several months in an airtight container.
- Don't want the rum but still want to enjoy this as a hot drink? Just pour some hot water over a generous scoop of the ice cream base OR add a scoop to your morning or evening coffee.
- Try some of our other cocktails that are large enough for a party like Sneaky Pete Vodka Slush and Bay Breeze Cocktail for a Crowd.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 479IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg