Crispy Almond Bars
Crispy almond bars are an almond brittle that feature chocolate chips, almond extra and instant coffee powder for the perfect combination of flavors. Cut these into perfect bars or break into irregular brittle bites, and be sure to share with your friends and family.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cream butter, coffee powder, salt and almond extract; gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
Lightly mix in flour and chocolate chips.
Press batter into an ungreased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle almonds over top.
Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool pan on rack, cut into bars while warm. Or break cooled cookies into irregular pieces like "brittle".
- Margarine can be substituted for butter, if desired. Be sure to let the butter or margarine soften at room temperature before creaming.
- Almond extract can be substituted for vanilla or Amaretto.
- These almond brittle cookies are crisp and buttery.
- Mini chocolate chips would be a perfect substitute for the regular ones.
- Jelly roll pans are great for cookies; most versions have a lid that you can use to cover the pan after cooling for easy storage and transport.
- Chop up whatever type almonds you have on hand--slivered, sliced, whole, etc.
- Try our Cherry Almond Dump Cake if you are a big almond fan.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 177IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg