Ground Beef Goulash - An Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
Ground Beef Goulash might be the easiest, family-pleasing meal of all time. The combination of ground beef, tomatoes, and elbow macaroni and a handful of other easy ingredients comes together to create the perfect marriage of flavors. Believe us when we say, this recipe is a keeper.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
Brown ground beef and diced onions in a large skillet. Drain excess grease if needed and add back to skillet. Season beef with salt and pepper.
Add garlic, uncooked elbow macaroni, water, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and Italian seasoning to the skillet with the ground beef. Stir until mixed.
Cook over medium low heat at a low simmer until the elbow macaroni is cooked to desired texture, approximately 10 minutes. If the pasta soaks up all the liquid and isn't cooked through, add a little bit more water.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated Parmesan if desired.
- This recipe has many names: goulash, american goulash, and american chop suey to name a few.
- American goulash is a one pot meal that features ground beef, tomatoes, and elbow macaroni as the main ingredients.
- Use whatever canned tomatoes you have on hand: stewed, diced, petite diced, peeled. If you use peeled or stewed, you may want to chop them up with a spoon so you don't have large chunks of tomatoes.
- Tomatoes are acidic so adding a little sugar to this dish balances it out. It's an old trick from Grandma.
- If the elbow macaroni absorbs all the cooking liquid is still isn't tender, add 1/4 cup more water.
- Add other ingredients like chopped bell pepper or corn if desired.
- My American Chop Suey recipe calls for Italian seasoning. What is Italian seasoning? It's a seasoning blend that usually contains basil, oregano, thyme. If you don't have Italian seasoning, make your own blend at home. I usually throw some dried parsley in with my blend.
- Do your kids love Italian inspired dinners? Try our Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce, Spaghetti Pie and Extra Cheesy Lasagna.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 795mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 296IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4mg