Granny's Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes
Five ingredients is all it takes to make Granny's Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes.
Servings: 8 cakes
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon onion juice
- 2 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2-3 Tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
Heat butter or vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Add beaten egg and onion juice and mix. Slowly add breadcrumbs starting with 1 Tablespoon. Add breadcrumbs until potato mixture is thick enough to form a ball about the size of a golf ball.
Smash ball to form a 2 inch in diameter pancake, and gently add to the hot oil.
Fry until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not move or flip until completely golden brown. You will see the crust forming around the edge of the pancake.
Flip once, and fry the other side until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Talk about economical! This recipe uses leftover mashed potatoes and creates a whole new side dish, mashed potato cakes. And it only is only 5 ingredients!
- Granny's Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes are very basic. The mashed potato base should already be flavorful, so we only add grated onion and bread crumbs to thicken it up.
- You could easily jazz up leftover potato pancakes in a hundred different ways. Try adding garlic powder, shredded cheese, chives, parsley or anything your heart desires.
- To get onion juice, grate the onion. This gives the flavor of onion without the texture. Feel free to finely dice the onion or use 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- Why do your potato cakes fall apart when frying? If you start with a very creamy mashed potato, you'll need to add enough binder ingredients to hold them together. The beaten egg and breadcrumbs act as the binder in our mashed potato cakes. I recommend starting with 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs and go up until the mashed potatoes are capable of forming into a ball.
- Another reason the potato pancakes fall apart is because you are moving or flipping them too often. Do not move, and only flip once. You'll see the brown crust forming around the edge in the oil. If you move them around, the crust will not form.
- Some old fashioned potato cakes use flour instead of breadcrumbs. That is perfectly great. Start with a couple tablespoons and work up if needed.
- Fry up the leftover potato cake in vegetable oil or butter. Your preference.
- This leftover mashed potato pancake recipe starts with approximately 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes. If you have more or less, adjust the egg, onion and breadcrumbs accordingly.
- Looking for more potato recipes? Try our 4 Ingredient Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes, Cheesy Potatoes with Bacon, Instant Pot Potato Soup and Mom's Ham and Cheesy Potato Casserole.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg